It's Time IV Change!
As soon as I tripped across Monique and Marko from Time IV Change, I knew I wanted to learn more about what makes the dynamic duo tick, their experience with fundraising and building a brand that is unique and cruelty-free.
Where did your inspiration come from?
The initial inspiration came when we both realised there was no alternative for vegans who wanted a watch with a leather band. Often we were restricted to NATO bands, silicon/rubber bands and mesh bands. Both of us being watch fanatics, we realised there was a gap in the market for leather alternatives. We were aware there was a growing presence in the fashion industry for ‘vegan leather’ and depending on the way it is made, it could give the same characteristics that genuine leather had, minus the cruelty that is inflicted upon animals when it’s produced.
What makes Time IV Change so unique?
The fact that we are 100% vegan and cruelty free, meaning we don’t use any traces of animal in our leather. The process in which our leather is produced also means there is no negative effect on the environment. Some say vegan leather isn’t really ‘leather.’ But if you asked someone to feel the difference, nine times out of ten they can’t tell.
We also donate 20% of all proceeds from the leather bands that are purchased with every watch (or individually) to one of six charities that are affiliated with the different colours. For example our tan band is affiliated with Animals Australia, meaning anyone who purchases a watch with the tan band we will donate 20% to Animals Australia. The incentive behind this is to show people there is an alternative to genuine leather that is better for not just the animals, but also the environment. As well as feeling like they are apart of our community who wants to give back!
What advice would you give to someone looking to crowd fund their idea?
- Decide how you’re going to crowd fund your idea. Whether it’s through Kickstarter or Indigogo or any other funding platform. Read everything about the platform and how it works. (The FAQ’s and their blogs where people ask questions are good to have a read through)
- Spread the word amongst your family and friends because 80% of the support you receive will be from people you know.
- Go out an actually showcase your product, whether you do a pop up store at your local market or attend trade shows etc. When people actually get the chance to meet who’s behind the product your encouraging them to buy, they will feel more comfortable making the purchase.
- Do everything and anything you can to get your product/campaign/brand out there. Social media is at the centre of every brand these days, so if you’re not on it, get on it ASAP
- Start a mailing list. Get people’s email addresses and grow that list so when the time comes to launch or promote your campaign you will be able to send one email straight to people’s inboxes, which is considered a personal space. Include direct links to your campaign and social media sites and explain why they are an important part of the journey. (MailChimp is a good mailing list site to use, simple and easy to navigate)
- The lead up to the launch of your campaign is the most important part of the entire campaign. You nail that and you will be a success in the first week of your campaign!
What message would you share with the world?
What message would you share with the world, if you had the chance?
A cruelty free world is a much better one than the one we are currently living in. We have the power to change all of the negative things happening in the world, yet we choose not too because we don’t see the real impact it has on the environment and us. We really just want to show people the alternatives. People don’t tend to listen when you tell them to change their lifestyles completely. It disrupts what they think is the ‘norm’.
Let’s be real, some people just don’t like change. But by showing these people there are alternatives and if we’re living by what we are preaching then people tend to start seeing the light on their own.
Where can we find you?
At the moment our online store is under construction for our launch in May/June
For the time being you can keep up to date with everything that’s going on behind the scenes and more through