Here is the recipe we used to test a variety of egg substitutes in our Egg-sellent Baking Substitute experiment.
Makes 10-12 muffins. (Adapted from a recipe in Stephanie Alexander's The Cook's Companion)
- Vegetable oil (to grease muffin tins)
- 220 g self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1 egg substitute (Click here for our list of egg substitutes) !!!!!!
- 1 tsp vanilla essence (less if you're using vanilla extract)
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup frozen raspberries
- Preheat oven to 180°C and grease muffin tins with vegetable oil.
- Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Combine wet ingredients in a separate bowl and whisk lightly.
- Make a well in the centre of dry ingredients, pour in wet ingredients and mix lightly, incorporating wet ingredients a little at a time to reduce lumps.
- Gently fold in raspberries (make sure they're still frozen or else you will get strange blue muffins like we did).
- Spoon batter into muffin tins until two thirds full, then bake for 30-35 mins until they turn golden brown and an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Turn muffins out on a wire rack to cool.